Thursday, November 8, 2012

Social Studies











I thought that if I ate the food of the area I was visiting.
That I might assimilate the point of view of the people there.











As if the point of view was somehow in the food.
So I would make no choices myself regarding what food I ate.












I would simply follow the examples of those around me.
I would study menus very carefully,










Making note of important differences and similarities.
When shopping at the supermarket









I felt a great desire to walk off with someone else's groceries
So that I could study them at length










And study their effects on me.
As though if I ate their groceries I would become that person; until I finished their groceries.










And we might find ourselves going to the same places.

David Byrne

No comments: